Preparing your house before vacation
If you already packed for a short escapade or a longer vacation, it’s time to prepare your house for the time you are gone, but also for the time you will return.
Clean up and put everything in order, because nothing is more unpleasant than having to return to a house that looks like it has been through a war and start cleaning instead of daydreaming about the places you have seen.
- Make sure you have someone to water your plants while you are away or, if you won’t be gone for a long period, water the abundantly before you leave. If this doesn’t work for you, perhaps it’s the time to consider a smart watering system that waters your plant gradually. You can find one in the specialty stores.
- Ask a neighbour or a friend to pick up your mail, otherwise your mailbox might get stuck. Moreover, a filled mailbox will give the burglars ideas, as it is clear no one is home.
- Unplug all the electronic devices and switch off the plugs (if possible). Don’t forget to check the TV, the computer and the air conditioning unit.
- Clean up the fridge and throw out anything that might spoil or expire during your vacation. If you have nice and attentive friends, to find out some food when you get home, ask one of them to do some light grocery shopping the day before your arrival. If you get home late at night, when all the stores are closed, at least you should have something for a sandwich.
- Don’t leave dirty dishes in the sink or dishwasher.
- Take out the trash and clean thoroughly the trash can. Use disinfectant and, if you have the possibility, leave it on the terrace to dry out and air.
- Change the sheets. Nothing is more comfortable than returning to your own bed which is covered in fresh sheets.
- If you have a problem with pest, now is the best time to apply special solutions. Until you get home all the toxins would be gone.
Have a nice trip!